CAR SHIFT WON'T MOVE OUT OF PARK AND WON'T START

1999 Subaru Legacy • 2.2L AWD Automatic • 170,000 miles

I was driving to the pharmacy and when I parked my car I felt the something weird in the shift. I put it in park, turned it off, then when I tried to turn it on it wouldn't start and the shift wouldn't move out of park. We inserted a screwdriver into the hole and moved the shift to neutral, still wouldn't start. I changed the inhibitor neutral switch and still didn't make a difference. When I move the key to the on position and I press the switch on the shift it does make a clicking sound. I think it's an electrical problem because the car should be able to start even if it was the transmission. Can anybody tell me what can it possibly be? Thanks.
Anibetecpr32

Based on what you said, I have questions. First, since something felt funny when you shifted the vehicle into park, have you checked the shifter linkage? Next, are the brake light coming on when you depress the pedal to shift the transmission from park? Also, do you get any noise from the starter? If not, have you checked to see if there is power to the starter?

The linkage works fine, after we changed the neutral switch we tested it and it does. The brakes light is coming on and I haven't tested the power to the starter. We get no noise out of the starter.

Anibetecpr32
I need you to check for power to the starter. You will need a helper. Have the helper turn the key to the start position while you check for power to the smaller wire on the starter. You should get 12v. If you do, chances are the starter went bad. If there is no power, check to see if there is power to the starter relay. I have to ask one more question. Are you sure the battery is fully charged?

Battery is fully charged. Earlier today when I tried turning on the car it did a consecutive clicking sound but it didn't do it anymore after that one time.

Anibetecpr32
That is odd, That is what a battery will do if it is weak. Check to see if you have 12v to the starter like I suggested. Also, make sure all battery terminals and ground are clean and tight.