CAR DIES WHEN SLOWING TO A STOP OR DRIVING SLOWLY

2003 Ford Explorer • 166,000 miles

My 2003 ford explorer recently has been dying on me at stop lights and or when slowing down. The check engine light only illuminates when this happens and when I restart the vehicle it is no longer on. We have taken it 2 places to have the codes pulled and there are none that come up. We have had our alternator, battery and starter tested but every time it dies the battery light comes on we are out of guesses. We have changed the oil, a fuse that was blown and the air filter just because our book listed these as possible problems. It doesn't die when the engine is cold it has to be driven for awhile like 20-30 min before this starts. Any suggestions would be much appreciated
Buttons1983

Does the check engine light come on while the engine is still running or after it has stalled?

Wrenchtech
The check engine light only comes on after it has died it is not on while the car is running

Buttons1983
That's normal.

You may have a bad IAC ( idle air control) but try eliminating any vacuum leaks and cleaning the throttle body first. Remove the intake snorkel, have someone hold the throttle wide open for you and scrub the back side of the throttle plate and surrounding bore with an old tooth brush and some carb cleaner. Be sure to spray some into the small holes next to the throttle plate. That should help stabilize the idle. If it still has a problem, replace the IAC.

Wrenchtech
Thanks for the advice I will try that

Buttons1983