CAN'T START ENGINE WHEN IT IS COLD

1994 Ford Taurus • 122,000 miles

After replacing old spark plugs and ignition coil, the car started and ran fine for awhile. I put additives in the fuel tank to keep injectors clean and due to older gasoline in tank for some time. I had a mechanic test the fuel system for filter & pump pressure problems and they were OK.
Now in cold weather, the engine cranks but won't start, unless I spray starter fluid inside the air intake hose above the air filter housing.
I called a local Ford dealer service dept. And I was told to have the catalytic converters (2) replaced, because the car would not accelerate and it would lose power in the process (not installed yet). When the engine was turned off and then restarted while the motor was hot, there was no starting problem.
The mechanic who checked the fuel system could not get an error code (the check engine light stays on all the time when the engine runs) when using the OBD1 test socket under the hood.
Any good suggestions to creek these problems?
Carl Holmgren

The check engine light will stay on with the obsd connected. Check fuel pressure again you have to let us know if it'seec-iv and what engine size.