HEATED SEATS

2001 Cadillac STS

2001 Cadillac STS V8 Front Wheel Drive Automatic 80000 miles

The driver's side heated seats on my 2001 seville sts burn out after about only a year. My extended warranty doesn't cover the seats, and this is about a $500.00 repair. Is their reliability a known problem, or is there something wrong with my STS?
Grante11

Is it the element in the seat that is going out, or the control module? Please advise. There no TSB's that I can find about this being a common problem.

James W.
It is the element. They get real hot on the left edge for a few minutes, and then die. The module is fine. This will be the 5th time the driver's side seat element has burned out since I bought the car new in 2001. Could you check the TSBs on the 2001 Deville? I think that there were about 4.

Grante11
Ironically, you are the 2nd 2001 STS I have had this month with the exact same problem. I checked for TSB's on Cad heated seats from '95 to '05, and found nothing. Judging from your information, the heat grid must be shorting to create a " hot spot" in the circuit. What happened to the previous seats? Same thing, or did they just quit heating?
I have done a little research on this, even talked to the dealer. Apparently, the problem is most common in the '00 to '04 models. The dealer said the most common cause is " kneeling" on the seat. This puts more strain on the heat grid and breaks or shorts the system and either kills the heat or creates a hot spot. I was told they have been waiting for the seat manufacturer to come up with a solution, but nothing yet. There is a " rumor" they are waiting for a recall because of possible fire danger. Apparently, the seat control module will shut down if the amperage gets beyond a certain point. But that's small consolation for something you paid for that doesn't work. All I can really say is, if you have had to replace the heater as many times as you say, I would push the dealer for some type of " warranty" coverage. Let me know how this comes out so I can pass the info to others.

James W.