NO COLD AIR

1991 Cadillac Seville

Air Conditioning problem
1991 Cadillac Seville V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic 100k miles

My Cadillac 1991 Sedan Deville stopped blowing cold air today. The car just turned over 100k. Here is what occurred:

Service airconditioning light came on at information center.
Cold air stopped blowing.
On Electronic Climate Control " Econ" now dislplays instead of " Auto.&Quot;
If I attempt to press the auto button it will immediately go to " Econ.&Quot;
With the engine off but the ignition on I pressed " off" and " warm" buittons: All the display lights came on for a few seconds before going to a second dislplay which showed the " Econ" reading again and three dashes. (- - - )

Please give me direction on this before I take it to the dealer. Thank you. Roberto
Roberto40caddy

The reason it is going to econ, is by default for compressor protection. This indicates that the system is, or thinks by sensor fault, that the refrigerant is too low, and damage would occur by continued operation. The codes should display on the drivers info center, not the HVAC control head. If it is still an R-12 system, I would consider having it retrofitted, if you have repairs done.

Factoryjack
Thank you,

I will take it into a shop to have the refrigerant checked.

Roberto

Roberto40caddy