SELF DIAGNOSTIC MODE

2002 Cadillac Escalade

2002 Cadillac Escalade V8 All Wheel Drive Automatic 75000 miles

Does my escalade have self diagnostic mode in its information center display, to reveal the codes produced after the" service engine soon" light is illuminated. If not should a standard OBD-II code reader work? Or does Cadillac have a special reader software. The reason I ask is I tried a standard OBD-II reader. Tested and working
on a ford and a gmc truck. But it wouldnt work period on my escalade.
Skylar88

Hello –

To better assist you if you need to get back with me, please tell me if your model is just a Escalade or and EXT. Also the engine size in liter and the 5th and 8th digit of your VIN.

According to the manual you can use both but there may be some difference in the codes. I have attached that info for you.

SELF-DIAGNOSTIC SYSTEM
ON-BOARD DIAGNOSTICS
PCM is equipped with a self-diagnostic system which detects system failures or abnormalities. When a malfunction occurs, PCM will store a Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) and, in most cases, illuminate the Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL) located on instrument cluster.
There are 2 paths for accessing on-board diagnostics. It is necessary to access information through both paths, as each path presents some different information.
• Generic OBD-II

This provides all generic codes and some OEM codes, serial data PIDs required for generic OBD-II and some OEM PIDs, monitor status, pending codes and freeze frame.
• OEM

All DTCs, all PIDs, failure records, enhanced scan tool information and all other OEM scanner functions.

Thank you very much for the donation

Please let us know if what the final fix was for your car so we can better assist others. Thanks!

Find a car repair manual for your car repair questions.

ImpalaSS
Check the 15 amp cig ltr fuse in the underhood fuse block(left fender). If it is blown, before you put a new one in, check your lighter receptacle for conductors like coins, gum wrappers, etc. This fuse also powers your diagnostic link connector. There is no on-board diagnostic provision on your Escalade, a code reader should work fine.

Factoryjack
The model is a plain Escalade AWD. The engine is a 6.0 litre and the fifth digit in the VIN is k and the eighth is N

Skylar88
Hello –

Thanks for the info. I attached the pic of your DLC. You should be able to read codes from that. As I said, you can use the one from Cadillac or the other ODB-II but some codes as the manual said may be generic. There is no onboard.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/248015_Cadalic_DLC_1.jpg

gstacey also stated there is no onboard.

Hope this helps………

Thank you very much for the donation

ImpalaSS