CHIRPING NOISE IN FRONT AXLE/DIFFERE

2002 Cadillac Escalade

Drive Train Axles Bearings problem
2002 Cadillac Escalade V8 All Wheel Drive Automatic 88000 miles

I'm hearing a noise in my vehicle and it only makes it when I am accelerating or braking there is a small leak in the axle seal where the half shaft bolts up. Even though I have checked and filled the gear lube it still makes this noise.

I have checked the brakes and backing plates on my escalade to see if that is the sound I am hearing. Nothing is rubbing or squealing there.

the sound only occurs when I'm turning or under load of acceleration I need to know if I should change all the bearings in the diff, do they all have to be checked or can the axle bearings be changed.

I am almost positive this is the problem I would like a second opinion.

Thank you for your time

Eric
Rock5070

Have you pulled the drain plug to check for metal at the magnet? There is problems with the left side bearing adjuster lock tab failing and the preload being lost resulting in bearing wear. I have never heard one chirp though, just growl with accel and decel.

Factoryjack
I have pulled the plug to add fluid as there is a leak in the seal. There was just a film of really fine metal but no chunks, i've pulled alot of trany's and rear ends apart and found more than this so I would say no more than usual.

Can the preload just be set and the bearing will be okay or will this require a rebuild with new bearings?

I have a unique situation here and I need to know if this thing is going to self destruct on me?

Rock5070
Are you referring to the fill plug to add fluid, or the 13mm drain plug. You just specified'to add' fluid, not that it had been drained. The lock tab is replaced by removing the adjuster, which is done after the differential and side bearing cup is removed. If you adjusted the preload, and you already have noise, it would just increase the wear rate on the bearing.

Factoryjack
I should have known. When I checked the noise out the first time, (the truck has been parked for months now) I felt up and down play in the axle where it bolts up to the half shaft. That being said this style differential.

I will be honest here guys, I'm a big man, I weigh 425. And without the use of a lift. And because I didn't have the time I hadn't event checked the.

You guessed it U-Joints and the front drive shaft u-joint at the transfer case was rusted to hell.

Thanks for everything I will be on the lookout for any issues with the front end, it seems like a problem for quite a few 2002 escalades but for now she is quiet and smooth.

TR50

Rock5070