REPLACING BRAKE LIGHT SWITCH

2000 Cadillac Escalade

2000 Cadillac Escalade V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic 130000 miles

Having a horrible time replacing the brake light switch on my 2000 Escalade.
I Read the other post. Still not too clear. Did you have pictures or diagram? I can't get the old one out.
Papa1382

Stop Lamp Switch Replacement
Removal Procedure
For information on stoplamp circuit diagnosis, refer to Lighting Systems in Body and Chassis; and Electrical Diagnosis.

Caution: Unless directed otherwise, the ignition and start switch must be in the OFF or LOCK position, and all electrical loads must be OFF before servicing any electrical component. Disconnect the negative battery cable to prevent an electrical spark should a tool or equipment come in contact with an exposed electrical terminal. Failure to follow these precautions may result in personal injury and/or damage to the vehicle or its components.

For Vehicles equipped with OnStar ® (UE1) with Back Up Battery:

The Back Up Battery is a redundant power supply to allow limited OnStar ® functionality in the event of a main vehicle battery power disruption to the VCIM (OnStar ®module). Do not disconnect the main vehicle battery or remove the OnStar ® fuse with the ignition key in any position other than OFF. Retained accessory power (RAP) should be allowed to time out or be disabled (simply opening the driver door should disable RAP) before disconnecting power. Disconnecting power to the OnStar ® module in any way while the ignition is On or with RAP activated may cause activation of the OnStar ® Back-Up Battery (BUB) system and will discharge and permanently damage the back-up battery. Once the Back-Up Battery is activated it will stay on until it has completely discharged. The BUB is not rechargeable and once activated the BUB must be replaced.

Disconnect the battery negative cable.
Disable the SIR. Refer to Disabling the SIR System .

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/309872_156233_1.jpg

Remove the pushrod retainer from the brake pedal pin. Use snap ring pliers.
Unsnap the stoplamp switch from the pushrod.
Disconnect the electrical connector from the stoplamp switch.
Installation Procedure

Connect the electrical connector to the stoplamp switch.
Snap the stoplamp switch onto the pushrod.
Install a new pushrod retainer on the brake pedal pin. Use an 11 mm (7/16 in) socket in order to push a new clip onto the pin.
Connect the negative battery cable.
Enable the SIR. Refer to Enabling the SIR System in Supplemental Inflatable Restraints.

Factoryjack