COLD START CLATTERING

2006 Cadillac DTS

2006 Cadillac DTS V8 Front Wheel Drive Automatic 65000 miles

Whold startat would cause my DTS Northstar engine to clatter on a cold start?
Plowboy53

Does it sound more like a rap or a ticking? Also, does the oil light go out right away or does it stay on for any length of time? Finally, is the oil full, and how long does it take for the noise to stop?

Wh en I started it on a sub-zero morning recently, it made a loud ticking noise which went away after about a minute or two. There is plenty of oil in it and on previous starts, it did tick a little bit, but on the very cold day, it was loud enough to make me think what the heck was going on. The light goes out right away after I start it, and a Caddy service manager said that it's normal for a Northstar engine to do this. I just think that Cadillac should get these engines dialed in so they don't sound like some clunker when theyr'e left out overnite in cold weather. This morning I started it in the garage and it made a light ticking noise which went to a quiet idle after a very short time. Thanks, Frank

Plowboy53
That is a lifter ticking while it pumps up. Have you ever tried using synthetic oil? It is more expensive, but doesn't react to temp changes like conventional oil will. Conventionial oil will get heavier when it gets really cold synthetic won't. You may want to try it once to see if that helps.

Let me know if it helps, and thanks for using 2carpros. Com.

Next oil change I'm going to put in Amzoil and see if that helps. Thank you, Frank

Plowboy53
Frank: Try that and make sure to get an oil filter with an anti flowback valve. Let me know if it helps.

Have a great holiday, and thanks for using 2carpros. Com.