GEAR WILL NOT SHIFT OUT OF PARK

2001 Cadillac DTS

Steering problem
2001 Cadillac DTS V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 52000 miles

My car turns on fine, but I can not get out of park. I go to shift into reverse, but it just falls all the way down. I can't even remove my key from the ignition. What do I need to do?
Zirabey

Look under the hood and fint the shift cable, it loops over the throttle body, is attached to the trans with a bracket, and connects to the shift shaft. See if it is connected at that end. If it is, it has probably come apart at the other end. You will need to remove some trim panels and knee bolster to access at other end. It may have just came disconnected, or the cable could have broke. You can shift it manually, if you need to move it, at that area of the trans where the cable terminates. This would be a process best suited for two people, one to shift, and one to hold the brake. The vehicle will only start in neutral or park.

Factoryjack