CADILLAC DTS ENGINE PROBLEM

2000 Cadillac DTS

2000 Cadillac DTS Automatic 126000 miles

My car jerks forward as I come to a stop. When I place in nuetral and reverse it shifts hard/jerks. And it shifts hard when I drive.
Msbarra

So, if you shift it from park to reverse, or park to drive, it has a harsh(firm) engagement? And it shifts hard and firm when driving? It sounds like high line pressure, this is usually result of a fault. Do you have a check engine light?

Factoryjack
Yes the check engine light is on. The car jerks forward when I go to stop and also is idling high.

Msbarra
At first, you had not specified high idle. This could cause firm engagement for the same reason, higher speed=higher transmission line pressure. You can decipher the engine light by pressing 'info' up, and the on/off button at the same time. There will be a segment check followed by ALL. You can scroll modules alphabetically using the info button. Find PCM? And press on/off to select it. Use the info button to get PCM CODES, and press on/off. Record codes and post them. This may provide a direction you need to pursue however, it does not mean the smoking gun. By that I mean the code may translate to some further diagnosis to reach the cause.

Factoryjack