STARTER QUESTIO

2000 Cadillac Deville

2000 Cadillac Deville V8 Front Wheel Drive Automatic 136000 miles

The batt was dead in my 2000 deville. When I try to jump start it, it clicks but, wont turn over. I can tell the starter is throwing the gear onto the flywheel but, not turning the motor over? Is there a way jump the starter so I can figure out if the sterter is in fact bad or wheather it's some other electrical issue?
Thanks,
George
Caldillac

First thing is whether you are jumping it from the battery, or at the power stud under the hood at the fuse block. There is a connector that is tucked down in the right front of the engine, near the power steering pump, between the intake and the head. If memory serves me correctly it is a three pin connector. That connector is for knock sensors, and starter signal. The starter signal wire I believe is a large purple wire. With this disconnected, and the starter side of that wire fed power, you should engage the starter. If however, you have a weak battery, or poor connection, then you probably still won't have the amps to turn the engine over. If you have a battery charger, disconnect the cables from the battery and charge it for several hours. It sounds like you just have a discharged battery, and it may not be taking a jump.

Factoryjack
Well I ended up taking the intake off to check out the starter and the end of the starter was broken off and laying on top of the flywheel ! The satrter bolts were tight. Very weird? Does anyone know what the torque specs for the intake gasket are?
Thanks,
George

Caldillac
89 in lbs on the intake.

Factoryjack