ABS AND TRACTION CONTROL LIGHT ON

1999 Cadillac Deville

1999 Cadillac Deville V8 Front Wheel Drive Automatic 90000 miles

I had the transmission rebuilt because it was stuck in 2nd gear. Now it is doing the same thing.
I cant seem to understand how the abs is causing this.

Please help?
Rangers59

How did you determine that the ABS is causing it?

Factoryjack
That is what the mechanic says is show on the computer

Rangers59
It doesn't make sense, unless it is reducing torque because of traction control. Are you getting abs warning lights, and is there a code(s) relating to the fault.

Factoryjack
I am a female so believe me I think now I am learning what the meaning of they see a woman coming.

I have no clue. What the guy tells me is that because the abs and traction lights stay on that it tells (computer) the transmission to stay in 2nd gear.

Can you explain to me?

Rangers59
There is no strategy with the ABS/TC system that defaults the transmission. Usually, in response to an ABS fault, it disables ABS because it is no longer reliable. Here is a brief description.
ANTILOCK Indicator Lamp
The ANTILOCK Indicator (ABS) is located in the instrument cluster and will illuminate if a malfunction in the ABS is detected by the electronic brake and traction control module (EBTCM). The ANTILOCK Indicator informs the driver that a condition exists which results in turning OFF the ABS function. If only the ANTILOCK Indicator is on, normal braking with full power assist is available. If the BRAKE and ANTILOCK Indicators are on, a problem may exist in the hydraulic brake system. Refer to Brake System Testing in Hydraulic Brakes. Conditions for the ANTILOCK Indicator to turn ON are as follows: •ABS malfunction detected. As previously described, the ANTILOCK Indicator turns ON when a problem has been found in the ABS. The ANTILOCK Indicator indicates that the ABS and TCS have been disabled.
•Instrument cluster bulb check. When the ignition switch is turned to RUN, the ANTILOCK Indicator will turn on for approximately three seconds and then turn off.
• Illumination of the BRAKE warning Indicator may indicate reduced braking ability.

• Illumination of the Antilock Indicator without the BRAKE warning Indicator ON indicates only that ABS braking is no longer available. Power assisted braking without ABS control is still available.

• Refer to Brake System Testing in Hydraulic Brakes for diagnosis of any condition which causes the BRAKE warning Indicator to illuminate.

TRACTION CONTROL Indicator Lamp
• Indicator in the instrument cluster notifies driver that the EBTCM has disabled the TCS.

• Manually disabling the TCS will not activate this indicator.

• Indicator is controlled by the instrument cluster, with messages via serial data class 2 from the EBTCM.

Now obviously, I have not experienced the car, so I am just going on what I know here. In the 13 years that I have been with Cadillac, I have never seen a default to second gear as a result of brake problems. Is there a check engine light on? Try this for me. If the ABS light is on currently, with the key on, press OFF and WARMER on the climate panel. The segments of display will light up, and then codes will display by module, alphabetically. Record them codes and post them in a reply. In adiition, does it start in second gear, and stay in second gear, or is it a 1-2 type pattern starting in first?

Factoryjack
I am sorry that it has taken me so long to get back to you. But, it is because I still do not have my car out of the shop. They have now had my car for 3 months. After they rebuilt the trans. They still tell me that the car is still starting out in 2nd gear because of the abs module.

I went to the garage Thursday the 15th and I was there from 12: 30 to 3: 45 and these people could not get the car started. The owner tells me that now the security light is on and that the car has locked down.

I have talked to other transmission shops here in Lakeland and they have no clue either what these folks have done to my car.

I only know for sure that my insurance has paid them 2,189.24 and they tell me that it has to do with the abs module.

I know I sound like I have made this all up. But, I plan to call an attorney 1st thing in the morning.

I would like to tell you the name of the shop but I don't think I should on this sight.

Any more questions that I can ask them or any more info would be greatly appreciated.

Rangers59
The name of the shop is irrelevant, and I would not assume you've spent the time to make this up. I just can't understand the relation between the ABS system, and second gear starts. If it could be explained to me, then I would. I was unaware that the car was not in your possession. All I can offer is textbook information, it may make no sense to you. Here is what I have as a list of possibles for second gear starts.

Second Gear Starts
Checks
Causes

1-2 Shift Solenoid Valve
• Stuck OFF

• Pinched wire to ground

Pressure Control Solenoid
• Inoperative

• Leakage

• Pinched wire to ground

Starts at HI Line only, Driven Sprocket Support
Staked checkball missing

In a situation like your in, I question what the abilities of the shop are. Do they have any experience in this particular transmission, and operating system. If they made mechanical repairs, were they needed, and were they done properly? Obviously, if you have the same symptom before and after the trans repair, it probably did not need the trans rebuild. I have to wonder if all the wiring was checked, and a simple thing like the shift solenoid mentioned in the list of possibles, was checked and exhausted. In your earlier post, you had said that the ABS light was on. If you could, get the ABS fault codes from the shop. I would like to see what they are, so I can try and determine the relevance between it, and the second gear starts.

Factoryjack
The the place I took my car was to Mr. Transmission in Lakeland, Fl.(863)683-5608. They rebuilt the transmission and was payed by US Fidilus on June 9th.

He (Kenny, manager of Mr. Trans.) Called me and told me that the car was still starting out in 2nd gear and that he had taken the car to Car Tech. (863) 687-7335.

This is where my car has been since June 10th.
I have talked to Bud Boylan Owner of both shops many times and as of today I called the shop to get the abs codes and a guy that answered the phone told me he could not get the codes to me because he has the battery unplugged. So as you see by the date and time of this response I am getting no co-operation from them.

What is my next step? And thank you so much.

Rangers59
If you took it to them to address second gear starts, were given an estimate that you authorized, and they performed the repairs but were unsuccessful, then I would assume they need to correct matters. If it is a circumstance of misdiagnosis, that is not necessarily your fault, and you should not have to pay additional, or the previous repairs should be waived. In good business practice, I would think they would explain the situation to you, and leave you the obligation of feeling whether you should fund further repairs. If they are demanding that you have to pay more to move the process further, then you might contact the better business bureau. I don't know the particulars, and I am only getting one side of the story, so I can only offer about as much. Have you contacted the insurance company in regards to the situation, to see if they can provide any insight? Technically, it was their money that funded the incorrect repairs.

Factoryjack
Yes I have talked to the insurance company and they have as well. ON several occasions. (Kenny Has )

The insurance company told them as well as myself, " If they would have explained the abs/traction lights they would have not permitted the trans. Repair.

Same thing I believe you have been saying all along.

I did contact an attorney yesterday and he is supposed to call me Monday.

I don't see that they have lead me any other direction. After 3 months now.

Rangers59