HOW DO I CHANGE MY THERMOSTAT?

1996 Cadillac Deville

1996 Cadillac Deville

Is heating up to 215 really bad? And How come Im not getting any warning?

My car keeps getting really hot. About 215. I have a new radiator and im not losing any coolant. I think the reason Im not losing coolant is becuase I turn on the hot air and kicks on the fan to cool it right back down. It is working. So it never actually over heats. I am pretty sure since I can completely control the temperature of my car and keep it from over heating its the thermostat. I would like to change it.

Further research on this website has shown me that there is a pressure test thats a good idea? I have also seen some issues regarding Headgasket bolts. I was told that the pressure test can cause leaks in side there. So at this point what do you suggest?
I really do need help with this if someone can please talk to me. Thank you
Kisskeen

Hello, my name is David. 215 is about normal, when it runs 230 or more then its time to be worried, the low fan comes on at 222 and the high one comes on at 228, but if you want replace the thermostat, just take the bolts out of it, there are 2 of them, follow the upper radiator hose to the block and there it is, its easy, take the bolts out and let the coolant drain out, get some new dexcool 50/50 solution ( the other is water ) then wash off the spilt coolant with a hose

Buzzsaw
Thank you very much for the input. I am going to go a head and change the theromostat. I dont think ive seen the heat go up to 230 but I did see it get up to 228. Its an older car and I baby it so why not do it right : )
Ive got a brand new radiator and Ive had a new transmition put in. Few other things also.
I am curious though the thermostat didnt come with a seal. I went back and they gave me some rubber ring. This doesnt look right. Isnt it a sealant or a cardboard type lay out of the area where the thermostat is mounted?

Let me know " I'm going in!&Quot;

Kisskeen
Problem solved. Thermostat changed and its much cooler then it was. I appreciate all the help David.
By the way the Seal was correct.

Kisskeen