WATER PUMP FAILURE

1986 Cadillac Deville

Engine Cooling problem
1986 Cadillac Deville V8 Front Wheel Drive Automatic 126k miles

So my water pump pretty much exploded out of it's housing, pulling the belt off eveything else with it. I'm fairly sure I can replace the water pump myself, but worried about what coladeral damage there may be that I cannot see. Head gaskets are my primary concern. I've never seen a water pump do this before, and I'm trying to figure out why it may have blown out like this.
Chooch82

Hello –

To better assist you can you give me your engine size in liter and the 8th digit of your VIN.

The only reason the head gaskets would be bad is if it got to hot or when it came apart it damaged he seal. So check that area really good.

I would inspect all of the pulley wheels really close for and damage or bent pulleys. Just take your time with a strong light and give a really good visual inspection of the area.

I have seen water pumps with the engine running the fan wobbling so much you wonder how it hasn’t hit the radiator yet. I have also seen them spraying coolant out of the shaft, hitting the fan and going everywhere.

They have a lot of pressure on them. Look around really good though to make sure all the other pulleys are free to turn. There are times that other pulleys are bad and lock up and that causes other things to tear up. So look really good at each one.

When you take it apart look it over really good. It may have had a crack it in and couldn’t hold anymore. Like it was dropped before installation…….

Did it damage the radiator etc? How is your belt tensionor?

Unless you see other damage or the vehicle overheated……….I think you will be okay.

Thank you very much for the donation

Please let us know if what the final fix was for your car so we can better assist others. Thanks!

Find a car repair manual for your car repair questions.

ImpalaSS