FUEL INJECTION

1987 Buick Somerset

1987 Buick Somerset 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 80000 miles

The car has digital gauges on the instrument panel. All of the gauges work properly except the fuel gauge and the odometer. I am not sure why this is. The car was recently ran out of gas. After putting more gas in, the would not start. I then used stater fluid directly in the TBI. The car started. The car then stoped after the starter fliud burned away. The valve cover gasket was leaking, so I replaced that. I also replaced the spark plugs in case they were fouled out because of the oil from the valve cover gasket. I also took the fuel injector out and cleaned it. I also cleaned the throttle body without removing it. After everything was reassembled, the engine will rotate, but it still will not start without starter fluid. I can hear the fuel pump working. The engine continues to run after the stater fluid is gone, and I can see the injector spraying into the TBI while it is running. However, as soon as the throttle is mashed the engines quits. Could this be caused by the pressure regulator, or icould the sending unit be bad.
Dapperden520

Check your fuel pressure/MAF/MAP/TPS sensors this is where we start.