INTAKE MANIFOLD

1997 Buick Skylark

Other Category problem
1997 Buick Skylark 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 140000 miles

I had filled the coolant and about 3-4 weeks later it was gone. No outside leaks.
I may be getting coolant in the oil. Yesterday I checked the dipstick and the oil was light metallic brown. Just what I would expect from orange Dex-Cool mixed in. But this morning the oil looked normal.

I can probably do the intake manifold gasket and I think I know where it is : -) It is the unit that connects right to the large air hose? I have a Hayne's manual but they are very poor in pictures.

Is there anyplace oline with decent pictures?

Also I am assuming that if it is the lower manifold gasket, the engine would have to be hauled? The same it it is a head gasket?

Most times I do my own, plugs and fluid changes etc. I just need a good reference. Thanks.
Almagg

If you have the v6 you'll have to remove the valve covers and the lower intake manifold. GM move to a plastic gasket with rubber embossing and these tend to shrink and crack at the water ports towards the ends.

The proper and permanent fix is a fel-pro part# made of steel and embossed with silicone.

As far as coolant goes, most dealerships wont even use dexcool anymore as it causes corrosion or electrolysis. Flush the system and use green coolant mix.

Asandberg6