MULTI-USE HEADLIGHT DIMMER SWITCH

1999 Buick Regal

1999 Buick Regal 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 69,000 miles

The headlight dimmer switch in my Regal has quit, cannot make lights stay on bright. All other functions of the switch still work (turn signals, cruise, flash to pass etc) Dealer says headlight switch with the cruuise control function on it is broken. Wants $500 for switch and $200 for labor. I can buy the switch for $115. I am a competent home mechanic - but have never worked with an air bag system. I realize I will have to pull the steering wheel to get to the dimmer switch. Can a home mechanic like myself do this job since the Airbag is part of the steering wheel? How do I go about removing the airbag without it deploying in my face? And what problems will I have upon reinstalling system to make sure the airbag system will work again once I reinstall it?

Thank you for your answer.
Ed
Edironhorse