CHANGE SPARK PLUG WIRES

2003 Buick Park Avenue

2003 Buick Park Avenue 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 52000 miles

How do I remove the cover to expose the spark plug wires? The oil fill holds down the cover. Does this snap off? I pryed it slightly but stopped at that point. Do you recommend the original ac delco plugs?

Thank you.
Sposim

Think of the oil cap extention as if it were the cap. That is it comes off the same way. Once you have the neck out and cover off, you could just put the cap onto the valve cover directly.

So turn the cap counterclockwise and remove it and then turn the neck counter clockwise and remove it. The whole cover just comes off.

HAving said all that I doubt you needs plugs yet. Pull one out and check the gap. Probably right on the money. IF it came out tough, put a little anti-seize on the threads about 1/4" up the threads AWAY from the eletrode.

IF you still have the desire to replace them, I think A/C delco is a good chice on that one. I would use Autolite double platinum myself only cause that is what I usually use and would have in stock.

There is a noticable difference in the was the vehichle runs. It is for sure running a bit rough. Also mileage has dropped approx. 1.5 mpg. Maybe just the plugs at this point? The air filter has been changed also.

Thank you.

Sposim
The plugs wear significantly better than the old resistor style. If it was misfiring it would set a po30X code.

The 3.8 engines have had a intake manifold problem that " may" be part of the problem. IF it was, you would be losing a little coolant, so check the level.

IF not, I would suggest having the code numbers checked at that point and get back to me. Autoparts stores sell inexpenve code readers.

I am not getting a service engine lite or anything like that. Should I still have a scan done for codes any way?

Sposim
Yeah I would. Doesn't mean one will or won't be there, but it sure is easier to chase down a problem with more clues.

Coolant level been changing at all?

There are many possiblilities as to what is going on. Some will set a code, some won't. The some won't side of it can become a bit more of a ghost chaser.
Maybe an o2 sensor is weak or other powertrain management input sesor is out of spec, maybe a plug wire or coil is shorting, maybe carbon build up in the intake valves. Maybe the fuel pump is weak.

IT becomes procedural testing versus theoryand component testing.

Got an actron scanner from sears. Test said passed. No codes. Is there an easier way of trying to pull the wires from the plugs? I pulled, twisted shook and any other way you can think of. I can not get a 1 of them to pull off.

Sposim
No, your doing it about right.
I believe there is a metal shield around them on that one, we pull the metal and all out. Sometimes wires break.

The wires usually break when they don't come off easily. It would be a good idea to have a set on hand when you try to remove them.

Dennyp