HARMONIC BALANCER

1992 Buick Park Avenue

Noises problem
1992 Buick Park Avenue 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 113000 miles

About 3 months ago needed to have my harmonic balancer and serpentine belt replaced due to a loud clunking noise that was happening at idle or very slow speeds. I got the balancer used from a scrap yard to save a few bucks.

About one month later the noise started again. I don't want to buy a new part and have the repair done again just for it to fail again. Did I get a bad part or could something else be causing the balancer to fail? Also, what will eventually happen if I just don't replace it? The car runs great, but the noise is a nuisance and embarrassing.
Charlenel2103

I am curious as to what the failure is, was there slippage or some visually obvious failure that was the cause of the noise? I am trying to understand the root cause of this failure.

Dr. Hagerty
I did not notice any slippage or visually obvious failure. A repair shop told me it was the harmonic balancer, and I had them replace it with a used one. Little over a month later it started again. No other symptoms.I know the problem is the balancer, just trying to find out if something could be causing the balancer to fail.

Charlenel2103