PROPER OPERATING TEMPERATURE

2001 Buick Lesabre

Engine Cooling problem
2001 Buick Lesabre 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 104000 miles

My car last night got up too 200F last night-per the digital guage. What is the proper operating temperature the guage should read?Did I hit something and cause damage. There are no smells of antifreeze, extra-consumption of antifreeze-or the smell in the car interior. And no leaks at all. Should I get it flushed and a new thermostat. Mike
Joemike61

Its a very good idea-you're okay

Most engines today are designed to operate within a " normal" temperature range of about 195 to 220 degrees F. A relatively constant operating temperature is absolutely essential for proper emissions control, good fuel economy and performance.

A 50/50 mixture of water and ethylene glycol antifreeze in the cooling system will boil at 225 degrees if the cap is open. But as long as the system is sealed and holds pressure, a radiator cap rated at 15 psi will increase the boiling temperature of a 50/50 coolant blend up to 265 degrees F. If the concentration of antifreeze to water is upped to 70/30 (the maximum recommended), the boiling temperature under 15 psi of pressure goes up to 276 degrees