MASS AIR FLOW SENSOR

2000 Buick Lesabre

2000 Buick Lesabre 6 cyl Automatic 170000 miles

This wonderful car will turn over, but die almost instantaeously. It appears to not be getting enough gas. If you keep the pedal to the floor, it will sometimes stay running, as well as backfire! There are no check engine lights on. Mechanic said two different things, the battery and the mass air flow sensor. Any ideas, we will have my nephew who is a mechanic put in a new sensor if we decide that is what needs replacing. I know that is a costly item and without the check engine light on, I am slow to believe that to be the problem. I know my battery needs replaced as we have had problems with it before, what are your thought on those 2 beingn problems or not?
thanks jen
Jwagher

Hi, your mechanic was probably looking at scan tool data, codes and whatever. I don't have access to that data.

I can't recommend unplugging the sensor to see if the basic driveability improves. I've been told unplugging sensors is poor diagnostics.