ELECTRIC COOLING FANS WILL NOT TURN ON

1998 Buick Century

Engine Cooling problem
1998 Buick Century 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic

Electric cooling fans will not turn on when engine gets too hot. I checked the fuses and relays. They are good. I replaced the CTS and it did not fix the problem. I did discover that if I disconnect the electrical connector to the CTS, the electric fans will turn on and stay on. I have left the connectors disconnected temporarily so that the engine does not over heat. In doing this, I've noticed a drop in gas mileage. Please help. Oh, the radiator fluid level is good.
Deanlandis

The reason your gas mileage dropped is you disconnect the cts and it doesn't control the fans. plug it back in. There are 3 relays not 2 and 2 large fuses. they all must be checked. I'm including a diagram. If it's not a relay, then you'll have to have a pro check it for a bad connection or shorted wire coming from or to the pcm....

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/406719_relay_diag_1.jpg

How do you test the relays for the coolant fans

Douglaseboggs