HELP PLEASE!

2006 BMW X3

2006 BMW X3 4 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 56,000 miles

My car started making an acceleration noise/hum even when I wasn't accelerating; the RPMs accelerated highly when I wasn't accelerating; and the car starting jerking while I was driving. After approximately 15 minutes, the car shut off/froze (while in drive). It started right up when I started it again, but immediately shut down. After letting it sit for approximately two minutes, it started again and jerked (with the same noise) until I stopped it again. The battery light is on and the oil light, but the car says there are 3000 miles left until it's time for an oil change and since the car at least starts, it doesn't seem to be a battery problem. PLEASE HELP!
JTBMWX3

There isn't much help I can offer. The car will need to be scanned for faults with the BMW specific software to tell what the fault is. Towing it to a BMW specific repair facility is the best thing for me to suggest at this time and with the information provided.

Dr. Hagerty