IS A BEND IN RIM A MAJOR PROBLEM

2006 BMW 750Li

Tires and Wheels problem
2006 BMW 750Li V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 30500 miles

I recently purchased a 2006 BMW 750 Li with 19" wheels and felt some light vibration in steering wheel around 50 MPH and found out (when I took it to BMW dealership) that the passenger side front wheel rim is bent and that was causing the vibrations. BMW has quoted me $750 to replace the rim and balance the wheels. I have a few questions on this.
How does a rim get bent - is this an indication of an accident or this is a common occurence?
Shold this have been caught by the folks who claim that each car goes through 140 point inspection?
If I don't get the rim replaced, does it have any long term detrimental impact on the car like tires wearing out unevenly or alignment problem etc. Or is the only side effect of this the slight vibration that I am experiencing?
Can I replace my spare wheel rim with the one that is bent?
Finally, I saw someone advertising a refurbished OEM 19" rim on the internet for like $250 - they mentioned that it met all BMW standards - is it advisable to buy these rims and replace my bent one?
Neelmukherjee

To answer your questions; #1. How does a rim get bent - is this an indication of an accident or this is a common occurence?

Answer; it is not a common occurence, it could have been from an accident, or somebody just had their head up there @#! And hit a curb.

#2. Shold this have been caught by the folks who claim that each car goes through 140 point inspection?

Answer; No, on a 140 point inspection They do not check the wheels to see if they are bent, unless the customer brings it to their attention that he is feeling a vibration. Furthermore, the technician that was doing the inspection should have noticed the damage on the wheel. If there was damage on the wheel?

#3. If I don't get the rim replaced, does it have any long term detrimental impact on the car like tires wearing out unevenly or alignment problem etc. Or is the only side effect of this the slight vibration that I am experiencing?

Answer; the long term effect of the vibration will most likely put excessive stress on all front-end components, not to mention that it will eventually shake the car to pieces, squeaks, noises, and you will be driving a piece of garbage.

#4. Can I replace my spare wheel rim with the one that is bent?

Answer; Only if it is the identical size rim and the same size tire.

#5. Finally, I saw someone advertising a refurbished OEM 19" rim on the internet for like $250 - they mentioned that it met all BMW standards - is it advisable to buy these rims and replace my bent one?

Answer; A refurbished rim is probably a rim that has been bent and straightened. You may be running into the same problem, you could try to get your rim straightened by a professional.

Conclusion: in my opinion. I think you'd better get rid of the car. I don't think you can afford to drive a 750LI, people that drive these kind of vehicles do not care what it cost to fix it, looking rich comes at a very high price. Sorry

Dr Loot