TRANSMISSION SHIFTS ON REVERS AND PARK ONLY

1987 BMW 635

1987 BMW 635 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 193 miles

hi there, im trying to find the problem with my transmission, it was driving normal I parked the car on my driveway for five minutes came back put the car on drive. Not moving, I try to put it on 3.2.1 the car not moving feels like it's on nutral only the revers gear response and when I put it on park. Could it be the shifter cable or something else. Thank you
Moejam

Start with checking the transmission fluid level, check it with the engine running.

Dr. Hagerty
Hi there, I checked the transmission oil with the car running it looks fine, I also cheked the shifter cable linkage from the bottom of the car all the way to shifter handle. Still I can't get the gear into drive. Could it be the transmission computer or the diffrential. Thank you and happy holidays

Moejam
It could be a bad " A" pack in the transmission, it could be a hundred other things as well. It is a practical impossibility to say from cyberspace what it is for sure.

Dr. Hagerty