TRANSMISSION PROGRAM

1994 BMW 540i

1994 BMW 540i V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 118000 miles

I recently had my engine replaced. Prior to that my transmission program light would come on very rarely, usually when the temp was cold. The car would be stuck in 4th or 5th gear. I would shut the ignition off. Wait a moment and than turn the car on and than all would be fine. After the engine replacement this occurs all the time whether it is hot or cold outside. If I am taking off from a rather level surface there doesn't seem to be a problem. But if the car has to downshift frequently the light goes on and the car remains in 4th or 5th gear until I stop and turn off the ignition and wait a moment etc. The car also seems to be shifting more noticably (rough). The mechanic that replaced the engine said that because the prior engine had little torq the new engine may be placing more stress on the trans and thats why its happening more frequently. I replaced the engine because I truely love this car. What is your advise on the fix and is it really worth it $$$? Also after engine replacement the coolant warning light comes on - the temp guage does not move from center and there is plenty of coolant in the resevoir.
Please help - I appreciate your help and expertise in these matters.
Lfasbinder

The coolant light is just the coolant level switch requiring replacement, its right at the top of the expansion tank. The tranny issue might be something as simple as the chip set requiring replacement, send the VIN and I will get you a part number for it.

Dr. Hagerty
VIN # WBAHE6315RGF25670, also estimate cost of replacement. Also, heater works from the floor duct but not out of the ac vents. Any thoughts
Thanks again

Lfasbinder
BMW does not blow hot air out of the A/C vents, call it corporate policy. The chip part number is dependent on the serial number on the side of the tranny. 01-00-1-469-307 or 308. Serial # less than 18585 is the 308 chip. Otherwise the 307

Dr. Hagerty