TRANS PROG. ERROR

1994 BMW 540i

1994 BMW 540i V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 200033 miles

The car starts and runs fine(plenty of power and smooth shifting) until the trans error comes up usually while entering a curvey on-ramp, when I take my foot off the gas and come to accelerate again (let's say 20mph.), Sometimes it's fine in the same situation. Had it checked and came up with trans. Speed sensor and various gear monitoring codes. If I drive in S4 it's normal delayed shifting and error never comes up. Btw. The problem resets by turning off and starting again, would appreciate any help THANX!
Devildaawg

The EGS brain may need the updated chip. Has the car ever been to the dealer for this issue?

Dr. Hagerty
No I've never been to the dealer for this, I also own a 98' 740iL and had the trans error but it was constantly on and I took it to 3 dealerships who all told me the trans was shot and needed replacement, I finally took it to a specialist and he changed the TCM and that was it, so i'm sure that not all dealerships would be so bad at diagnosing but I don't trust'em anymore. Im an auto mechanic but I am by no means trained to work with these sophisticated vehicles, especially when it comes to problems like these. I appreciate your quick response and I will go to that specialist and have him check the TCM, thanx a million doc.

Devildaawg
My money is on the chip upgrade, go see your buddy and let us know the outcome, cheers.

Dr. Hagerty