REAR LICENSE PLATE LIGHT

2003 BMW 530i

2003 BMW 530i 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 36000 miles

Left Lic plate light went off, bulb was burned, replaced with OEM eq. No light on left. RT side Ok, tested with voltmeter no volts. Console says" check license plate light". Today when head lights are in auto mode and DRL rear tail lights do not come on, when the headlight switch is turned to full on. The rear lights come on.

No fault messages other that " check license plate light"
Radphy

As I understand your question, the problem started with the left license plate lamp and now has no rear lights at all, is my understanding of the situation correct?

Dr. Hagerty
Do the rear tail lights only come on when in auto mode the xenons kick on?
The rear lights do not come on unless the switch is moved from auto to on, the left lic plate light is off, removed wireharness rubber cover and inspected at trunk joint. Visual wire inspection looks ok

Radphy
Have you tried another light bulb in that license plate bulb holder, I know you posted there is no voltage present, but the lamp control will stop sending power if there is a reason, and I am still not sure I have an answer to my question, my request is that you re-read it and respond accordingly. I am not trying to be a pain in the ass, but sometimes communication needs to be absolutely crystal clear, and I am not sure of the situation, which makes what we are trying to do more time consuming. As to the last post, you state the rear lights do come on, but still no left license plate light, is this accurate?

Dr. Hagerty
I have tried 2 brand new bulbs, (tail lights are ok. Lets drop that issue) left lic plate light still off, also cannot find a specific fuse loc for left lic light. As mentioned the wiring harness under the rubber grommet at the trunk lid looks ok. Thanks for your time

Radphy