WON'T SHIFT OUT OF 3RD WHEN IN AUTOMATIC

1994 BMW 530i

1994 BMW 530i V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 199000 miles

I don't know much about this car as I just bought it. When I bought it, it had " trans program" error and was locked in 3rd gear. Took to BMW certified mechanic and he replaced the shifter interlock and was able to clear the " trans program" code. When in automatic, the transmission shifts smoothly through 1st, 2nd, and 3rd but will not shift out from 3rd unless I hit the manual switch and then it shifts smoothly into 4th and I switch it back to automatic and it goes on to 5th. It will shift back down through the gears on its own but when it gets back down to 3rd, I have to use the manual button to make it shift out again. The mechanic thinks the transmission just needs to be serviced. The day I got the car out of the shop, I ran it through the car wash and as the jets sprayed under the car, it went back into " trans program" and locked in 3rd gear again, but after I let it sit for a couple of hours and cranked it again, the " trans program" was gone. I'm guessing I may have a bad connection in the wiring, like a short of some sort. Any suggestions?
Tricthatch

Your guess is a good one. Start with that and with the possibility there is something inside the tranny that will require repair, like the harness or a solenoid.

Dr. Hagerty