WHITE SMOKE COMING FROM CAR BUT CAR IS NOT OVE

1998 BMW 528

Engine Cooling problem
1998 BMW 528 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 66300 miles

I just bought my car had it test drived by a mechanic and everything was lovely. Then, I drove about 5 miles and was 3 blcks from my house when the car started to over heat- the temperature gauge was in red. I heard something blow - boosh! And steam/white smoke started coming out of the car.
I changed the radiator and the thermostat, now the car does not over heat at least I think so because the temperature gauge stays smack in the middle. However there is still white smoke comming out of the front hood and a slightly " fishy like" smell inside the car at the star of the car smoking.
What could this possibly be and is it an easy fix. Please help its my first car and I dont know a thing about cars.
besides the said problem the car is lovely I cant return it cas its is a sold as is.
Thorwood17