ALTERNATOR

1990 BMW 520

1990 BMW 520 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Manual 250000 miles

HELLO
I am in the military and me and my family are living in germany we have a problem with our car and we can't get a straight answer from any of the german car maechanics here so please help us. We were driving and the radio began to flicker and then the when I would press the gas peddle it sputered then the whole car shut off. So I thought it might me the battery so the next day I went to buy a new battery and it worked perfectly after that. Later that day I went to work (about 20 miles away) then on my way home once I got in my neighborhood. It started to happen again. Please let me know if it is my alternater or if it is something else. If it is the alertnater how much is that going to cost me? Thank you for your time.
Jojolisa

The brush pack/voltage regulator is suspect and will be specific to the cars alternator. Maybe part# 12-31-1-726-022. It is held in by two screws in the back of the alternator.

Dr. Hagerty