WENT THROUGH FLOOD WATERS

1986 BMW 325

Engine problem
1986 BMW 325 V6 Two Wheel Drive Manual 240000 miles

I thought I could cross a street that was flowing with water - the car stalled I tried to start in water it continued to stall- had it towed and when I got home started again. It started but it had a loud knocking sound- it drives fine but-the sound is loud and it gets louder/faster with the rpms. Also it doesnt go in gear from nuetral after car is started- but if I start in gear -it changes gears fine- also clutch pedal vibrates. Changed oil there was water in it.
Telezinski

Hi there,

If the water was high enough to enter the engine, you may have ingested water into the combustion chambers, As water is noncompressible you may have suffered some internal damage (the knocking noise is a concern) Have all the oil's chanced as water in the transmission will be very detrimental. Have brake systems checked It is not just the water that causes problems but the large amount of silt that can be deposited as well. Advise your mechanic as to what happened and he/she should know what to do.

Mhpautos