ELECTRICAL FAULT CAUSES CAR TO CUT OUT ON MOT

2005 BMW 320D

2005 BMW 320D 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Manual 91000 miles

I have a 2005 BMW 320d M-Sport. Yesterday the engine cut-off on the motorway and all sorts of warnings came up on dash. The rev counter needle flicked back and forth violently and steering/brakes etc was very heavy - it had effectively gone dead. I came to a stop and pressed 'Stop' button took key out of ignition and then put it back in and pressed 'Start' - since then everything (driving-wise) has been fine.
So as im worried I took it to auto-electricians who cleared 3 faults, 2 of which were camshaft and crankshaft sensors. His plan is now to see if it occurs again and then identify by the faults appearing on diagnostic machine that these are actually faulty sensors as opposed to just been 'tripped' - my questions I guess are can this just happen? Will it happen again? Or is there a possibility it was a " bug in the system" and will never occur again (ive driven 35 miles since) - how much are the replacement sensors to buy? And will they clear up the problem!
Micky160982

I am guessing that your car is from outside the USA. The problem may be due to sensor plausibility or to a power/ground issue, check the battery connections and the engine ground strap. These are just some of the possibilities, there may be others I am just not seeing right now. If the issue comes back, a comprehensive description of the faults and perhaps a copy of the printout will be quite helpful.

Dr. Hagerty