SHIFTING AND WEIRD TRANSMISSION ISSUE

1994 BMW 318

1994 BMW 318 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 195k miles

Gradually, I noticed it had become harder and harder to shift in and out of park until it finally became impossible. When I took my car in for work, they quoted me a final price, parts and labor + tax at just under $300USD. Their labor charge is $90/hr and from what I have seen, the part they said needs replaced, a shift cable, is a pretty cheap part. They are however, shipping it in. Does this price sound fair? Does it take 2 hours to do that work?

Also, as a related problem, when I would stop or slow down quickly, the car would seem as if it put itself in neutral, if I pressed on the gas it would rev up, but not go anywhere, and then it would clunk back into drive which felt like the transmission equivalent of a punch to the stomach. What could that be?
Dexikiix