AXEL NUT ON THE END OF THE SPINDEL.

2002 Chevrolet S-10 • 2.2L 4 cylinder 2WD Automatic • 136,000 miles

Im having a problem with the nut on the end of spindle trying to back off. I tightened it up a few days ago and it was fine for a day or two now its loose again. I can grab the wheel and pull it back and forth without raising it on a jack and I can always tell when it's getting loose cause I can hear a thumping noise when im driving it. I was wondering if it should be torqued or is it a hub problem, or is the spindle wharped or bent causing the nut to back off the spindle? If there is a torque spec for this nut what is the how much should I torque it cause normally the axel nut just has to be hand tight.
Mikie81

If this I s2wd and talking about nut pictured your wheel bearings are probably shot.

Thanks for the response ill check out the bearings again asap. They seamed fine when I checked them last weekend while doing a brake job but ill just replace them and hope it helps, thanks

Mikie81
By the way, proper setting for tha tnut is 50ftlbs of torque on newly replacked bearings then back off to first hole you can put cotter pin in. Or didn't you put he cotter pin in it?

I put the cotter pin back in but I don't think I torqued it to 50. But thanks for the torque spec and when I replace the bearings tomorrow ill torque it down and see if that helps.

Mikie81