CAR SHAKES DURING ACCELERATION

2003 Audi Cabriolet

Shakes or Wobbles problem
2003 Audi Cabriolet 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 70000 miles

I have a 2003 Audi A4 Cabriolet, 1.8T, approx 70,000 miles. The car has a very noticeable shake/vibration during acceleration only, and only noticeable at speeds of approximately 50-70 mph. I can feel the vibration in my feet and, slightly less so, in the steering wheel. The sensation can be felt in the passenger side too. It is accompanied by a low volume rumbling as well. Both the vibration and rumbling occur at a constant frequency, maybe 0.5 seconds. Thoughts on what could cause this?
Lepres

Hi there,

Thank you for the donation,

Body vibration is usually related to rear suspension & rear wheel problems, but with it also being felt in the steering the problem may go bit deeper than this, have the wheels checked for balance, and make sure that they do a front to rear only rotation, make sure that the tyres are in good order, and have the rear suspension inspected for faults, also get all engine & transmission mounts inspected as well, start here.

Mhpautos
Tires are new within the past few months, and had balance and alignment done then. Problem developed some time after this so I don't think that is the issue. Any other thoughts?

Lepres
Do not presume that it is not a problem with the new tyres, and the rear end, body vibration is 90% rear end related get it checked to be sure and then have the engine mounts checked.

Mark.

Mhpautos