MULTIPLE COOLING SYSTEM FAILURES

1995 Audi Cabriolet

Engine Cooling problem
1995 Audi Cabriolet 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 94865 miles

I have owned this car for 2 months. After about 3 weeks, my coolant light came on, checked the coolant and it was indeed low. Took it straight to Audi who diagnosed a pinpoint leak in the radiator, estimate $1100. Found a local mechanic with good reviews who charged me $700 and I was back on the road. 2 weeks later, driving home from work, and the heater core blows completely, dumping all my coolant into my floor board and smoking up the whole car. Turned off immediately and towed to the shop. Replaced the heater core, and also serviced the tranny as he noticed a leak while my car was in the shop, another $840. The heater coil blew out a 2 inch chunk on the hard plastic pipe, not in the coils where I would have expected. SO pick it up Friday, drive 15 miles home, seems to run fine, although maybe a little warm (but not hot). An hour or so after getting home I go out to run to the store, start it up and notice the coolant light. Turn it off immediately and go to the front of the car, all the coolant is dumped and running down my driveway. Call the mechanic and he says its the headgasket. There is no coolant in the oil, everything else seems fine. Does this sound suspicious? I can't afford to have the car towed again right now, and it obvioulsy cant be driven. What is the best thing to do, and is there any other obvious things it could be other than the headgasket?
Awwd