RPM'S REV AT LOW RPM'S IN 3,4 AND 5 GEAR

2001 Audi Allroad

2001 Audi Allroad 6 cyl All Wheel Drive Automatic 104000 miles

My 2001 Audi allroad with 104,000 miles on it has a problem and I have no idea what it is. When I am accelerating from a stop sign slowly so the revs stay low, the car goes smoothly through the first 2 years but once I shift into 3 and then 4th and then 5th, in all the gears when the RPM's drop below 2000 after the shift and I try to accelerate the RPM's rev about 500rpms every 1 second. If I accelerate into over drive or to a point were the RPM's are not lower then 2000 then it accelerates nicely. I have been able to fix the problem by always driving the car in tiptronic mode and only shifting when the rpm's will be above 2000 at the next shift point, but this is bad for gas mileage. Any information would be greatly appriciated.
Tm775