DO I NEED A NEW BATTERY?

2002 Audi A6

Noises problem
2002 Audi A6 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 45000 miles

I just returned from a vacation and my car will not start. The radio will play but it will not turn over. It just makes a 'click, click, click' noise. The dealership recommended the battery be replaced. The car does not start when we try to jump start it.

Can the battery be dead when the radio and the air work?

Can my husband change the battery or do you need special tools?
Krocks6033

A 2002 car would most likely have the original battery, so the answer to your question is yes, absolutely replace the battery. Yes your husband should be able to do this himself with basic skills and a few simple tools. I would price the battery from your local parts house instead of going to the dealer, they will want a premium for theirs, and Kragen or Pep Boys sells good batteries. Also, just a small piece of advice, NEVER, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE, JUMP START THAT CAR. The sensitivity of the electronics in the modern German automobile makes jump starting risky, don't do it. If the battery is dead, charge it. If it wont take a charge, replace it. I cannot stress enough the importance of this advice.

Dr. Hagerty