RATTLING NOISE AT LOW SPEED (UNDER 20 MPH)

2002 Audi A4

Noises problem
2002 Audi A4 4 cyl All Wheel Drive Manual 105440 miles

My 2002 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro is emitting a rattling sound from the engine compartment. There is no noise in the morning until I am exactly two miles from my residence. I notice the sound when I am under 20 mph and when I shift, say, from 1st gear to 2nd gear after I have lifted off the clutch pedal. Noise willl also occur if I downshift and go under 20 mph. There is no noise above 20 mph. The noise occurs whether I am on the accelerator or if I am just 'coasting'. It is clearly audible with the sunroof open or a window open. My car is regularly maintained at an Audi dealership; however, I have just recently relocated where the closest Audi dealer is 3 1/2 hours away. Is this an emergency? There is no change in temperature or handling. I would appreciate any tips/ideas. I am leery of using local repair shops.I am in a very small remote town.
Susannah Leigh

A lot of times, if the check engine light isnt on, it turns out to be an exhaust heat shield, welds rust out or break and these tinny sounding vibrations are emmitted.

Merlin2021
Thanks for your response. Is this an emergency issue? Just a nuisance that can wait until my next service appointment with Audi? Estimated cost to repair?
Thanks!

UPDATE: I wasn't satisfied with the answer here, so I called my service manager in the state I just moved from. He said it's the cam adjuster. It's not an emergency, just a nuisance right now. Cost is $$$.

Susannah Leigh
We will see! Update us after your appointment please. To diagnose a cam adjuster over the phone is next to impossible, so they must be seeing quite a few of them?

Merlin2021
This sounds to me like a problem with the dual mass flywheel, this is something that will get progressively worse before it fails but in extreme cases it can damage the transmisson.

Gearbox tech