OVERHEATING

1998 Audi A4

Engine Cooling problem
1998 Audi A4 4 cyl All Wheel Drive Manual 130000 miles

I have replaced the thermostat and the Temp cooling sensor and it still is overheating! What else could it be? I've checked the head gaskets and there fine, the only other thing could be the water pump maybe? Please help. Also I keep reading about all of these error codes that will tell what is wrong with the car, where do I find these codes? Is it on the dash, in the book where?
Nascar42

Error codes are stored in the vehicle's computer. You need a diagnostic scan tool to retrieve them, your local auto part stores usually offer this service for free as well. Check to ensure your radiator fan(s) come on and that the coolant is full.

Bluelightnin6
The coolant level is full and it's not leaking. I have turned on my heater and my a/c and neither one does what it supposed to, although it does run. So if you have any more info that would be great! Although I am going to check at my local auto parts. Do you think it could be the water pump?

Nascar42
If the coolant is not leaking than the water pump is most likely fine. I still need to know if the radiator fan is running or not. Have you checked it?

Bluelightnin6
Yes the fan is running, but there is no heat or a/c. It just blows air!

Nascar42
If the coolant is not leaking, thermostat is working and the radiator fan runs it must be a clog in the system. I suggest flushing the entire cooling system including the heater core.

Bluelightnin6
Great thanks for the help! I was also thinking it might be the heating sensor.
Question: When I start the car it goes through this inspection blinking below the mileage gauge, does the number of times it blinks indicate a problem code? That's probably a girl y question but I need to know.

Nascar42
Do you get a buzzer sounding noise 3 times or so along with a red or yellow symbol?

Bluelightnin6
I believe it beeps a total of 31 times while the red inspection light is flashing, then it stops. I only have to drive 5 miles before the temp gauge is 3/4 to completely hot! At that time you can hear it start to bubble, no steam comes out just a hissing sound until it cools down.

Nascar42
Okay, the red symbol and buzzing is just a DANGER display warning from the auto-check system. It will do this whenever the engine coolant level is low or the engine coolant temperature is high and also if the engine oil pressure is low. We already know you are having overheating issues so thats why the light is coming on, it does not indicate fault codes like the check engine light does.

Bluelightnin6