ELECTRICAL

1988 Audi 5000

I have a 1988 Audi 5000 Quattro with the 2.3 5 cylinder in it. Now I like to think I know enough about cars, but in reality I am lost when it comes to working on electrical (Especially with this car! Yikes!).

I'm having a few problems right now. My first problem is that my brake lights have failed completely. I have tail lights when the headlights are on, but as far as braking goes they're gone. Help? (I believe it's the switch - is there someway I can test it without purchasing a new one only for it to be another problem?)

My next problem seems to be all tied together in one big mess. When I flip my headlights on my instrument cluster does not light up at all, every other light in the car dims. My climate control display dims to the point where it's nearly impossible to read. Strange part being the clock in the instrument cluster is still illuminated. This problem cropped up out of nowhere and I'm not even sure what could have triggered it. I have no idea where to even start with this problem.

I think this may be linked to the instrument cluster/climate control/headlight issue. My license plate lights don't come on at all.

I've checked all fuses and none of those proved to be the problem.
AChill45