HELP ME DISCONNECT CABLE FROM ALTERNATOR

1989 Audi 200

1989 Audi 200 259000 miles

Hi, I'm taking the alternator out of my 89 audi 200 quattro burbo. I got the 17mm bolts and the 13mm bolt out okay and have the alternator hanging by its power cable.
My problem is I have neverr seen on my older audis an electrical connector goiong into the alternator like this one. The cable goes into a dark brown plastic device which is inside the alternator opening and flush with the outside cover of the alternator. The plastic is about 1 1/2 inches wide and 1/2 inch in height. I tried prying it out with a screwdriver, squeezing it with pliers and pulling etc. But it does not budge. If I pry too hard with screwdriver I'm afraid to break it. This seems to be some kind of connector I've never seen before. Can you tell me how to disconnect it from the alternator?
thanks very much
doug.
DOUGLAS LEITERMAN