96 MYSTIQUE 4CYL ROUGH IDLE & WON'T EXCEED 4K RPM

1996 All Other Makes All Other Models

Over the past year the following work was performed by mechanics to my daughters car but not necessarily related to the current problem. The engine has 140K miles but does not show any symptoms of bad compression, i.E, oil smoke. There is some carbon on the exhaust tip.

Plugs and Wires (verified correct connection), immediately after this work car ran fine.
Thermostat
Timing Belt (4-5 mos ago)
Temp Sending Unit (ECT)
Air Filter
After problem arose:
Injector Cleaner, Gumout, Dry Gas added to fuel
Catalytic Converter

Symptoms:
Rough Idle
Difficult starting - will cold start but fades and stalls. Need to give gas for hot start.
Rough reving. Engine will vibrate & hesitate before rpm increases.
Engine will not rev beyond 4k rpm just begins running very rough and will not rev higher.

Per my daughter the car was running fine. She drove it to work and we had a cold snap. When she started it to come home that night the car started and ran as described above. It has an interior opened fuel fill door and she says she always locks the car at work so it is unlikely anyone put something in the fuel.

As you can see I've invested a good bit in this car and would like to solve this problem. The car and engine are in good condition without excessive oil consumption or other terminal condition. Help!
Lowrevs

EGR valve or MAF sensor

Lovescars