91 EXPLORER TRANSMISSION WOES

1991 All Other Makes All Other Models

Neighbor has a 91 Explorer 4x4 with an automatic transmission. When shift lever is put in overdrive, the vehicle won't move. If it is then put into drive, it still won't move. If it is put directly into drive from park, it moves and shifts, but has no overdrive. Any ideas?
Kenneth Burrough Jr.

From past experience, I would have to suggest that your overdrive band is burnt/wore out

Clemmerfl
Me again, would strongly suggest that you DO NOT attempt to replace yourself, this is delicate/tricky stuff that only qualified techs should do

Clemmerfl
I've been considering ordering tech manuals from ASTG (any esperience with these?). The original transmission had been rebuilt approximately 18 months to 2 years ago and failed again last summer. I swapped it out for the transmission (purchased at a salvage yard) that is in it now. The owner had similar problems (overdrive) with rebuilt unit after the rebuild. He was told that the band had become disconnected from the actuator arm. Doesn't make sense to me. Anyhow, I've had training (20 years ago) in light and heavy duty automatic transmission rebuild, repairs. Thought I would try to help them out. But, it may be more than I can chew right now. Thanks for the info.