GEO METRO

1996 All Other Makes All Other Models

I have a 96 metro 4 cyl with 126000 miles on it. I just replaced the timing belt, but in order to get the car to run the timing marks are way off. I aligned the bottom marks but the top marks are off by 5 teeth! Why won't the car run when all the marks are aligned?
Michael

The car WILL run with all of the marks aligned. You just said that the top marks were off. I don't get what you're asking here.

Catch_15
If all of the timing marks are lined up the car will not start. The cam timing marks do not line up. They must be advanced 5 to 7 teeth for the car to run. Why is this and what can I do to fix it.

Michael
I understand what ur saying. I am changing a timeing belt rightmost and my marks are off 4 teeth on the crank. It was running fine but I noticed the tensioned was froze up so I got it and a new belt, got all the way to making sure the marks lined up
but they don't, so I looked on here to see what to do. I saw ur q and a and I saw where u got a bad answer cause they didn't understand ur question. I can't answer it but I can say I have the same problem and looks like Im just gonna leave it off cause u said urs didn't run when they lined up but did when it was off like u found them. Ur question really saved me some headache and a lot of time and money. Thanks bro.

Briano.a33