CUTLASS FUEL PROBLEM

1992 All Other Makes All Other Models

I'm not getting any fuel to the fuel injection system on my 1992 Cutlass Cierra. I replaced the fuel filter near the fuel tank, and it was clearly blocked. After removal, on the old filter fuel poured out of the inlet but not the outlet, but still no fuel to the engine with the new filter. (The car runs briefly when starter fluid is sprayed into the air inlet).

I can hear a relay click when the ignition is turned on, and what sounds like a solenoid near the engine drop out when it's turned off, but I don't hear the fuel pump run. Is there a reset somewhere on the fuel pump that may have tripped when trying to pump fuel through the clogged filter? I lookd for a panel under the trunk - didn't see a hatch, and the owners manual says nothing about a fuel pump reset button.

One blog I read indicated that there was a test wire coming from the fuel pump relay, but I couldn't locate any unterminated wires from the relays on the front passenger side of the car. Can someone tell me excactly which relay is the fuel pump relay and if there's a test wire to bypass it? Also, where is the pressure test port for the fuel system located on this car?

Any help would be appreciated - this car is too old and has too many miles on it for me to have it towed to the shop.
Makophin

The clogged filter probably burned up your fuel pump

Jack42