COROLLA 4A-F 150K MI WON'T START

1989 All Other Makes All Other Models

1989 Corolla 4A-F 150k mi

Bought for $500, and got all of 500 miles from the tow yard when the car overheated. Towed it home, and replaced thermostat. Car would not start.
I checked the oil (no water in it), all hoses, spark plugs, wires, and other fluids / expendables that one usually replaces when buying a used car. The coil primary has 2.5 ohms of resistance, and the secondary has 11.5 ohms. I adjusted the timing, and it still would not kick over. Finally today, I removed the valve cover, positioned the engine at TDC on compression stroke, and moved the camshaft timing sprocket forward (clockwise) about two teeth.
This time the car started, but died after releasing the gas pedal. I put about 2 gallons of gas in the car, and it started again. I revved the engine up to 3k, but the car died again when I released the gas pedal to idle. Now, it won't start again. My next step is to remove the cams, and re-align them to properly reset the valve timing.
I am at a loss to why this is happening. Can one of you guys help me out with this?
-Steve S.
Xsyorra