QUESTIONS FOR ALL OTHER CARS DEAD BATTERY

1961 All Other Makes All Other Models

1961 Questions for all other cars 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Manual

I actually have a relatively new battery that was run down by months sitting without starting. As a result I can not get it to take a charge. I have heard that you can " trick" a battery into charging by hooking another fully charged battery up in " series" with the dead battery and then hooking up the charger with the " positive" on the good battery and the " negative" on the bad battey and thus creating a flow that will trick the bad battery into taking a charge. I've talked to guys that have done this and they say it works most of the time. Any thoughts on this?

Dead in Nebraska
5Johnson

Hi there,

if the battery is dead flat, most chargers won't kick in until they detect some current flow, what I do in this case is take the battery out and jump a good battery to it, hook up the charger let it charge both for about 15 min then remove the good battery, this should give the dead battery enough surface charge for the charger to take over.

Mhpautos